Windows keeps rolling out new innovations and technologies through various updates to improve user experience. As technology has outgrown immensely over the past few decades, so have multiplied the rates of cyber criminal activities as well. Fortunately, Windows keeps security as one major consideration. One such innovation is adding PIN to your user account—instead of passwords.
There are various options available for adding an extra layer of security to your account. You can either add a PIN or trace a pattern of gestures on a picture, or you can even use Windows Hello which is a biometric sign-in method for scanning your fingerprint, your face, or your iris.
Before we learn how to add a pin to you Windows account, first let’s take a quick look to some of its benefits.
Benefits of Adding PIN to Your Account
If some how you lost your password or if someone gained unauthorized access of your system, then the person who has entered the system will gain to all platforms that are linked to that password.
On the other hand, if a PIN is compromised, they can use it only on one particular device only. They can’t use it for any other devices.
How to Add a PIN?
Here are the quick steps by which you can add a PIN to your Windows 10 account.
1. Open Windows “Settings”, and click on the “Accounts” icon. Click on “Sign-in options” on the left side, and click on the “Add” button under “PIN” on the right side of the screen.
2. If prompted to verify your account password, then enter your local account password and hit “OK”.
3. If you have a Microsoft account, then enter your Microsoft account password and click on “Sign in”. After entering your password, you need to confirm your identity. To do so enter the numbers in a dialog box.
NOTE: The only criteria for choosing a PIN is that it must be at least four digits long. There are no limitations on maximum length or complexity.
How to Change Your Existing PIN?
If you already use a PIN to your account, and look forward for changing it then here are the quick steps:
1. Open Windows “Settings”, and click on the “Accounts” icon. Click on “Sign-in options” on the left side, and click on the “Change” button under “PIN” on the right side.
2. Enter your current PIN at the top, enter a new PIN and click/tap “OK”.
How to Reset it? In Case You Forgot Your PIN!
1. Open Windows “Settings” and click on the “Accounts” icon. Now click on “Sign-in options” on the left side, following with “I forgot my PIN” link under “PIN” on the right side.
2. Verify your account password and set up your new PIN. Remember, if you boot to Safe mode, you’ll be able to sign in with your password, and not with any other sign-in options.
Simple isn’t? although if you still face any trouble in executing the abovementioned steps then feel free to call us on our toll free number 855-765-6710 (US, Canada) so that our tech experts can assist you further.