So you’ve got a brand new Mac! What next? Well, we’ve got you covered. There are infinite number of handy applications available on the AppStore that can make your Mac experience much more enticing and convenient. There are a variety of ways by which you can download the applications on your Mac device. Let’s discuss all such methods in detail-
Via App Store
App store is the central hub where you can search and install all applications for your Mac. Here are the steps by which you can quickly install an application-
- Click on the pricelocated beneath the app’s star rating. If an app is free, the button will read Get.
- Click on the green Install App button that appears. Enter your Apple ID password if prompted.
- The app will automatically show-up on the launch pad as soon as downloading will begin.
- Once the application loads completely, you can start using it instantly.
You can also download a bunch of applications straight through the web as well, though the process stays a bit complicated. There are various kinds of file extensions, let’s have a basic understanding first.
A DMG file is a disk image, which is sort of like an archive file. When you download one, you can double-click it to “mount” it, allowing you to extract the application from inside it. Check the steps mentioned below:
- Click on the Finder icon at the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Click Downloads
- Double-click the downloaded file. If you get an error message that says “The program can’t be opened because it wasn’t downloaded from the Mac App Store,” right-click the downloaded file and select Open.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed further.
- Add the application to the Dockby dragging its icon from the Applications folder in the Finder to Dock. You can do the same thing from the Launchpad as well.
There are some extensions like .tar.gz or .tbz. To extract the archive file, simply double-click it. The Archive Utility will automatically extract the contents of the archive to the current folder.
The procedure for extracting a zip files remains moreover same as DMG files. But before you add files to library, you must first “extract” the files. If you double-click on the .zip package you have downloaded, Archive Utility should appear and automatically extract your files. If double-clicking does not work, please try the following:
- Right-click on the .zip package, and selectOpen With > Archive Utility (default).
- Archive Utility will appear on your screen and will show the progress of the extraction.
- Once the files have been extracted, they will appear in a folder located in the same location as the original .zip file.
Hope this helps! There are a variety of applications scattered all around the web. Get started right away and in case you need any further assistance then feel free to call us on our toll free number 855-765-6710 (US, Canada) so that our tech experts can guide you through.