Are you unable to access your Mac or MacBook as you forgot the login password? Most people would not risk guessing the wrong password and rather choose rushing to the local service center. While that sounds convenient, it would still cost you some money. Thankfully, you can reset your MAC password yourself by following some simple steps.
You may also like: How to Install Applications on Mac?
Note: There is no limit of trying a password on your MAC. After three wrong attempts you will get a password hint. If you are able to recall the password using this hint then you can save your effort.
- Turn off your Mac from Apple > Shut Down.
- Press the power button while holding down Command-R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys. It may take a few minutes to load.
- Select Disk Utility and press Continue.
- Now go to Choose Utilities > Terminal.
- Enter reset password (without space, lowercase letters) and press Return.
- Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be your Main hard drive).
- Choose an account to change with Select the User Account.
- Enter a new password and re-enter it into the password fields.
- Enter a new password hint related to the password.
- Click Save.
- You will see a warning message that the password has changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
- Click Apple > Shut Down.
Now you can restart your Mac and you will be able to get into it by using your new Password.
Second Method: Using another user account on Mac
If you are having multiple user accounts on your Mac, then you can also reset your password using another user account on your Mac. This is how you can do this.
1. Turn on your Mac and select the account you do know the password to.
2. Enter the password for that account.
3. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups.
4. Click the Lock icon in the bottom left of the window.
5. Enter the password for current user again.
6. You will see a list of all user accounts select the account you have forgotten the password for in the sidebar.
7. Click Reset Password.
8. Enter the new Password, enter it again in verify fields and a Password hint field.
9. At last click Change Password.
Now you can restart or switch user and you will be able to log in with your account on Mac.
Using one of these two methods will help you to get into your Mac if you have completely forgot the password. If you have any other tech related issue or if you are looking resolve any other issue, just call us on our toll free number (855) 765-6710.