CDs and DVDs are definitely out of trend as everyone use flash drives or flash drives to carry data. Therefore, it becomes important to learn to safeguard our data from going into wrong hands. We can write-protect our flash drives to limit access to data stored. Adding write protection means your data will be read-only and no one will be able to add anymore files to your flash drive.
To enable write protection on flash drives, just follow the given steps
- Attach your flash drive to the USB port and load the data.
- Now close any open files from the flash drive.
- Next locate the flash drive in explorer it may show there as a disk drive.
- Right click on the flash drive and go to properties.
- Click on security tab and then select everyone and then click edit
- As you can see in the given image permissions are all allowed for everyone. When you will click on edit it will provide you two check boxes in front on every permission.
- Select the check box under Deny for any of the field you want to disable under write protection now click Apply and then Ok
Note: once you turn on write protection from any computer, everyone including you will not be able to modify the data.
How to disable write protection from flash drive
to disable write protection on your flash drive, you need to attach write protected flash drive to the computer then simply allow all the options in the last step then apply and ok.
How to format a write protected or a read only flash drive
if your flash drive has become write protected without your knowledge and you just want to format it, you can easily disable it through the above method. In case of write protection, you will not be able to format the flash drive as normal, you need to edit registry. Since the procedure includes modifying registries, we recommend the guidance of a qualified technician. Modifying a wrong registry may be fatal for system and could lead to permanent data loss. You can call us on our toll free number which is (855) 765-6710. Here a technician will help you to with everything tech.
Here are the steps to format a read only or a write protected flash drive.
- Open the registry editor by pressing the “Windows”+ R key and typing “regedit.” An app called “regedit.exe” will request administrator permission to run; click “OK.”
- Navigate to the directory “ComputerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEM”
- Once you have navigated to the key, select “CurrentControlSetControlStorageDevicePolicies”
- The “Write Protect” value will be there. Right-click on this option (it will be labeled as 1 if the flash drive is right protected).
- Change the value 1 to 0, and press OK.
- After this restart the computer and remove the flash drive.
- Insert the flash drive once computer is turned on insert the flash drive and now you will be able to format it.
- To format simply right click on the drive and select format
- Choose “Default allocation size” then “Start” and click “Yes” when you are given the warning that ALL the data will be lost.
This will complete formatting the flash drive. if you stuck somewhere in following the given steps or if you have any other tech related issues you can call us on our toll free number for any technical assistance. (855) 765-6710 toll free.