Using the keyboard numpad to enter numerical values, is much convenient as compared to number keys under the function keys. But sometimes when we restart the computer we find that numpad has been disabled and we have to turn it on manually. This could also lead you to enter wrong passwords, especially if they contain numerical characters. Windows 10 allows users to set numeric pin for log in and this is where you realize the need of having the num lock turned on automatically during system start.
There are different methods to set number lock automatically on when you start windows.
Method 1: By editing registry You can make some changes to registry and you will get your number lock on when you will start windows for the next time. Please follow these steps to do this by editing the registry.
- Press windows and R key on your keyboard and go to windows registry editor by typing regedit in run dialog box.
- After pressing enter key you will be on the registry editor home page. Now navigate to the following key.
- Double-click the “InitialKeyboardIndicators” value in the right pane and set it to “2”.
- After doing this we need to repeat this process for all tusers on the computer for doing this you can go to
- Start with default navigate to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard, and we have to change the values for all the users listed here starting from S-
This process requires a registry edit so we recommend you to do this under technical assistance and if you need any kind of technical assistance you can call us on our toll free number witch is (855) 765-6710.
Method 2: By disabling fast boot Number lock can also be kept turned on by disabling fast boot on your computer. This is how you can disable fast boot mode on your computer.
- Go to control panel>power options>System settings.
- You can simply disable “Turn on fast startup” from this window. Next time when you will shut down the computer and start it again manually you will find that now your number lock is always on.
Also read: How to set default web browser in Windows?
This is how we can get rid of turning on number lock manually on every start. If you are looking for a solution of any other tech related issue you can call us on our toll free number (855) 765-6710.