We often work on critical data on our computers. Sometimes we open confidential documents that we often save on our hard drive. Even if we try our best to conceal this data by keeping them hidden, we know it’s not enough. Someone can easily access these files by finding them in recently opened docs. Even after system restart such files can be found in recent files and be seen by anyone. But you need not worry as just a few tweaks can help you keep such files safe from snooping eyes.
Here are the steps to clear recently open files after windows restart. Since you need to edit registry files, we recommend you to do this with the assistance of a technician. You can simply call our toll free number which is (855) 765-6710 and a technician will be available for you 24×7.
- Open registry editor by pressing Windows+R key on the keyboard and typing regedit in run dialog box.
- In the registry editor navigate to following registry.
- Now create a new value in the Explorer Right-click Explorer key and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name the new value “ClearRecentDocsOnExit.”
- Double-click the new ClearRecentDocsOnExit value to open its properties window. Change value from 0 to 1 in “Value data” field and then click “OK.”
Now you can close registry editor. When next time you will start the computer you will find that your recent documents are cleared.
Second method: By using Local Group Policy Editor.
- Press Windows +R key and type msc in the run dialog box
- In the group policy editor go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar. On the right, find “Clear history of recently opened documents on exit” setting and double-click it.
- In the properties window that opens, select the Enabled option and then click OK.
You can now exit the Local Group Policy Editor. Next time you exit Windows; your list of recent documents should be cleared. If you want to undo these changes you can simply click ‘disable’ check box in group policy editor window.
Read more tech tips here.
We hope this article helped you to make your confidential data secure. If you have any other tech related quires or if you need any kind of technical assistance you can call us on our toll free number which is (855) 765-6710.