Do you often hesitate when your kids ask for your iPhone to play games? You do resist before handing over the phone, being afraid that they might harm your personal data. Fortunately, we now don’t need to restrict ourselves because there is a terrific way out for these situations.
With the guided access feature you can control your iPhone’s privacy as per your requirement. Guided access works ideal in such situations when you want to show pictures to your friends or family, or hand over your phone to kids for playing games while your personal stuff stays safe and hidden. It helps you lock down features within one specific app (Even the incoming notifications will not be visible during that time!) and makes your iPhone a one-app device. Isn’t it great? The next section covers how easily you can learn to activate the guided access on your iPhone.
How to enable Guided Access on you iOS device:
Guided Access is basically a parental control feature which does not come activated by default in the settings. To enable the guided access –
- Launch the settings app.
- Scroll through General>Accessibility.
- In the Accessibility tab under the Learning section you’ll find the Guided access option.
- Activate the Guided Access slider option and then tap “Passcode setting” to set a 4-digit passcode. (Touch ID can also be used instead of passcode if you are using higher versions of iPhone).
See Also: Get Rid from Junk files in iPhone
- Once the Guided access is enabled roll to the home screen and tap whichever app you want to restrict. Say for example you need to restrict the WhatsApp or a game application? Open the desired app and then press the home button 3 times in a row (continuously). As soon as you press the home button thrice a guided access screen will appear.
- Tap “Start” on the top tight corner of the screen to begin the guided access mode.
- As soon as you press the “Start” option your phone will now be restricted to a particular single app. You will no longer receive any active notifications or incoming call. Now you can easily hand over your iPhone to your kids or family without being worried about your personal data.
- Once they are done, again tap the home screen for 3 times to exit the guided access mode. Now it will ask for your passcode which you had earlier set while enabling the guided access.
- After entering the passcode, you easily exit and arrive to the home screen again.
There’s even More to it!
Not only a particular app can be restricted, but you can also disable specific areas of the screen. Say some colleague asks for your iPhone to make an urgent call and you obviously don’t want him to snoop around through your call history and phone book. So in this case you can select the particular area of the phone screen (which only includes the dial pad) and crop the bottom navigation bar which includes call history and contact list.
Also Read: Delete Duplicate Contacts on iPhone
Simply draw circles with your finger to select for restricting the areas which you don’t want anyone else to interact with.
Once they hand over the phone to you, again press the home screen button thrice, enter the passcode and easily exit the guided access mode.
Simple! Isn’t it? So now no more worrying and skipping a heartbeat when someone asks to borrow your iPhone.
Guided access can make your life much easier and simple.